To become familiar with some of the main events in the life of Prophet Muhammad (SAW)
- Prophet Muhammad (SAW) was born in Makka on Friday 17th Rabiul Awwal. They did not have a calendar like we use then, and used to name the year after an important event that had happened. Just before the prophet was born, was when the elephants had attacked the ka'ba and so the year was named Aamul Feel, the year of the elephants.
- His father Hazrat Abdullah died before he was born. His mother Sayyida Amina died when he was only 6 years old. He was then looked after by his grandfather Abdul Muttalib and then by his uncle Abu Talib who was also the father of Imam Ali. So the Holy Prophet and Imam Ali grew up as cousins and brothers together. They were very close.
- All the people of Makkah, respected the Prophet. Ever since he was young and before he had even become a prophet. The people of Makkah knew that Muhammad always spoke the truth (sadiq) and was always careful when looking after people’s things. He was someone you could always trust (amin)
- He used to work as a Shepard and would also travel with his uncle Abu Talib when they would go on business trips.
- When he grew up, he married Bibi Khadija. She was a very good lady who gave all her money to Islam and supported the prophet. They had a daughter, Bibi Fatema (as).
- He became a prophet when he was 40 years old and spend the next 23 years teaching the people about Allah and Islam.
- The Prophet was troubled by a lot of people who didn’t want to listen to him. They would put thorns in his path, throw rubbish on him and call him horrible names, but Prophet Muhammad never gave up. He said to the people, I am only telling you what Allah has said. I don’t want to be famous or rich. The only thing I ask from you is that you love my family, the Ahlulbayt.
- Before he died, the Prophet gathered the people in a place called Ghadeer and told them that Imam Ali (as) would be their leader after him. He also told them to make sure they always follow two very important things; The Qur’an and the Ahlulbayt.
- He died on 28th Safar in Madina when he was 63 years old. He was buried by Imam Ali (as) in his house which was joined to the mosque of Madinah.
Make a simple masking tape timeline on the wall and have the children mark the events with images as you go through the life of the Holy Prophet (SAW).
For younger children, use fewer images to present a simplified life history.
|Simple Story Timeline|
Download Story Timeline Worksheet
Older children can divide and arrange the images into three parts or use the images to write their own brief timeline.
- 0 - 40 years
- 40-53 years
- 53-60 years
Download and print timeline images